Looking for some early beta testers

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon May 30 01:43:29 UTC 2005

Hi all,

   After 14 months of working nearly full time on my gpl linux backup
program it is finally close to 'beta'. What I mean is that all main
features work with one exception. What I am working on mostly now is
cleanup. It is far from perfect though, obviously.

   I am posting this in the hopes of finding a few brave souls willing
to help me do some early beta testing. I am new to this so I don't want
too many people just yet (though I worry about not getting anyone!)
until I figure out how to properly handle outside help. To anyone
willing I would be happy to come to you with my laptop and code for an
initial demo, overview and/or install.

   What I am looking for in a beta tester:
  - Someone with patience (I am learning project management as I go).
  - Someone with a perl, postgresql and/or javascript background.
  - Someone with a system willing to run relatively stable but
alpha-class software on.
  - Someone with external USB/Firewire/SCSI disks and possibly a
background in storage tech
  - Someone with some free time and/or looking for an open-source
project to pluck away at.
  - Did I mention patience? :p

   What you get out of it:
  - My thanks! (yeah, worth a lot, huh?).
  - Input on a potentially major OSS project (giving myself some credit
:p ).
  - If this gets off the ground something else for your resume (any
students interested?).
  - Personal tech support on a very flexible and user-friendly backup
program.
  - Okay, not much...

   Initial tasks:
  - Testing, testing, testing... stability.
  - Suggestions on new features and methods before a feature freeze.
  - Once the feature freeze is in place, more work on speed and
stability of features
  - Debugging leading to v0.2, the first official beta
  - I would like to release v0.2 by the end  of July or August.

   To be honest, asking for help makes me quite nervous... I still feel
like so much should be done before I ask for outside help. In the end
though, with the exception of one bit I mentioned, the program really is
about as far along as I can expect it to be. It works now, inevitable
bugs aside. It is time it becomes a community project if it ever will.

   To those who may have come to my presentation last year this is the
TLE-BU web-interface backup program. The program barely resembles the
one I showed way back then. It is far more stable, *much* faster, has
many new features, is far more secure and generally just way more
developped than it was back then.

   If anyone wants to check it out before hand grab a copy from CVS off
sourceforge at http://tle-bu.sf.net. Alternatively, send me an email and
I will email back a copy of the latest tarball which is a little over
200kb (the one on SF can fall behind because I mostly use CVS). The main
website at http://tle-bu.thelinuxexperience.com is kind of out of date
(one of the many things I need to update). Most of the screenshots are
no longer accurate, too.

   As an aside, I am currently working on converting all the text in the
program to be easily changed to support multiple languages. This is what
I am working on just now. Once I am done I would *love* help from
non-programmers and programmers alike in translating the 'words' and
'help' files into other languages.

   Well, I am probably rambling now.

   If this is considered off-topic then please someone mention and
anyone interested email me off list.

   Thanks everyone!!

Madison