Erroneous DNS

Allen Taylor agtnews-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed May 25 16:46:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 10:49:22PM -0400, Gregory D Hough wrote:
> Tlug,
>
> With the absence of a FQDN, I've always been plagued with my machines
> performing erroneous lookups. Do you know what I mean? Like when your
> freshly installed distro does its first connection to google it tries:
  [snip]
> Is this the wrong approach for a small home network? Is there a simple
> name service short of full blown bind I could incorporate internally? I
> mean I'm only dealing with three machines here and it's easy enough to
> edit the hosts files accordingly.

Not sure how you're set up but if you're using a Linux box as a
firewall/router, I would suggest looking at Dnsmasq:
     http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html.

I use this on a couple of small networks (5-15 machines) - it's easy to
set up and very low maintenance. Once set up on the Linux router, you
just point any other box (Linux/Windows/whatever) to the router for both
gateway and DNS.

Allen