a (missing) power of wiki -was- Re: [NTL] Tonight's presentation

Lloyd D Budd foolswisdom-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 25 03:12:44 UTC 2005

On 5/24/05, Sy <sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'd like to thank all who attended tonight's presentation.  It was all
> served through a 15 minute mediawiki installation, served by XAMPP.
> The presentation slides are available online at:
>
> http://sysy.homeip.net/mw/index.php/Seeing_the_true_value_of_the_wiki

Looks like a great presentation !

One of my least favorite claims about *current* wiki technologies is
included in that presentation :
"On a larger scale, a wiki is self-organizing, self-sustaining and
breathes with a life not like any other collaboration system."

Wiki's are fantastic for "flat" documents (such as encyclopedias) .  I
have not found any with the tools for knowledge management .  Wikis
are currently too passive .  Is there one that represents the
"strength" of statements and relationships of information ?

Aside , Wikis are labor intensive and text is seldom removed once
entered , or after some amount of conflict .  Or removed because it is
clearly factually in error .  Wikis are labor intensive on the reader
- in a different dimension than blogs ;-)

Aside , if you want one of the simplest (to set up and use), and with
a good feature set , try pmwiki .

--
Peace be in you ,
Lloyd D Budd