May 24th., NewTLUG meeting "Seeing the true value of the wiki" (reminder)

Herb Richter hgr-FjoMob2a1F7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 24 04:06:35 UTC 2005

	This month's NewTLUG meeting will be held
	Tues May 24th., at Seneca College.

...please note that the room is different than our usual room.
   more info below...

Date:		Tue, May 24th.
Time:		7 - 10pm

Topic:  	Seeing the true value of the wiki.
 		A wiki is an open documentation system best thought of as
		a fast knowledgebase engine.  The meeting will begin with
		an introduction to this technology, including discussion
		of its early philosophies and culture, then its evolution
		and current uses and finally some of its interesting uses
		such as open accounting.  Throughout will be comparisons
		of the technology and philosophy to other solutions.

		The meeting will be largely engine-agnostic, not focusing
		on any particular solution but being more about the
		philosophy and overall value of the wiki.

Presenter:	Sy <sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
		Sy is a team member of the coWiki project:
		http://www.cowiki.org and a very active user of MediaWiki
		software: http://mediawiki.org

		After having created a couple of thousand pages in his
		own wikis, he recommends MediaWiki as an easily used and
		administrated solution for managing knowledgebases.  He
		has founded several wikis using this engine, including
		the Toronto Ruby User Group, the Greater Toronto Area
		Linux User Group and just recently in his own workplace.

		http://trug.stok.co.uk/wiki/
		http://gtalug.org/wiki/

		His own wikis are found at http://sy.cowiki.org and
		http://sysy.homeip.net/mw/ and you can read more about him at
		http://sysy.homeip.net/mw/index.php/Sy

		...more bio below.

Location:       Rm S1206 Stephen E. Quinlan building (SEQ) - Seneca @ York
		Building number 40 on the map:
		http://www.yorku.ca/web/futurestudents/map/KeeleMasterMap.pdf
		The Seneca at York Campus, which is physically located in the
		south east part of York University, at Keele/Steeles.

Directions:	For detailed directions and info on public transit, please
		see:	http://cs.senecac.on.ca/~scs/seneca-directions.html

Parking:        Paid parking is available on campus (about: $8).
		Building #84 on the map above is a close-by parking
		garage.

More about Sy, from Sy:

I have been a wiki enthusiast for a few years, beginning my experience
with participation with the infoanarchy wiki[1] as a major contributor
in its early days[2].

After this experience, and driven by the frustration of the
maintainer's abandoned wiki modification project[3], I researched a
number of wikis and ended up with coWiki[4].

coWiki was a life-shaping experience for me.  Within just over three
months I had created about two thousand articles (public and private).
My using coWiki with such success was easy proof that the wiki
concept had real potential.[5]

During this time I would become a contributor to the coWiki project,
helping with documentation and importing my feature requests from my
infoanarchy experience.[6]

However, because my drives had exceeded coWiki's functionality, I once
again researched wikis and decided on MediaWiki[7], as it's the engine
behind the very successful Wikipedia[8].

I'm still an active coWiki team member and largely responsible for its
web presence, but I recommend MediaWiki for its robustness and
widespread use.  Although I'm a very heavy MediaWiki user, I still
have high hopes for coWiki in the future.

I'm not a programmer, and not really much of a tech.  Really, I'm just
a regular user with a lot of ideas and a bad memory.  I found that
with a wiki, there is an ease of use, organization and collaboration
with writing that has not been previously available.

I also began the Wikipedia's comparison of wiki software.  It's young,
but it's a good start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software

Learn more about me at:
http://sysy.homeip.net/mw/index.php/User:Sy

[1] http://www.infoanarchy.org/wiki/
[2] http://www.infoanarchy.org/oldwiki/wiki.pl?Sy
[3] http://www.infoanarchy.org/oldwiki/wiki.pl?IA_Wiki/RFE
[4] http://www.cowiki.org
[5] http://sy.cowiki.org
[6] http://cowiki.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectIssues -- A large number
of feature requests and other issues are backlogged in the original
coWiki website: http://develnet.org
[7] http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/
[8] http://www.wikipedia.org/

	Herb Richter  <hgr-FjoMob2a1F7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>