DVD Authoring

John Vetterli jvetterli-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org
Wed May 18 04:34:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005 billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to create DVDs. The kind that you can play
> in a normal DVD player.
> Does anyone have any suggestion for programs or applications that can
> be used on linux to do DVD authoring.
> Also since I'm a complete newbie at this anyone with advise would be
> helpful.

I've tried this exactly once, using data from a digital camcorder:

Software:
 	ffmpeg, with dv support (compile with libdv)
 	mpeg2enc, mp2enc, mplex from mjpegtools
 	dvdauthor
 	mkisofs
 	growisofs from dvd+rw-tools

1. Convert digital video data to an mpeg2 video file:
 	ffmpeg -i test.dv -f yuv4mpegpipe pipe: \
 	  | mpeg2enc -f 8 -a 2 -F 4 -I 1 -o test.mpv
    (where test.dv is the file containing captured data from the camcorder)

2. Convert the audio in the digital video data to mp2 audio:
 	ffmpeg -i test.dv -f wav pipe: | mp2enc -r 48000 -o test.mpa

3. Multiplex the video and audio to an mpeg system file:
 	mplex -f 9 -o test.mpg test.mpv test.mpa

4. Create a file called "test.xml":
 	<dvdauthor>
 	    <vmgm />
 	    <titleset>
 	        <titles>
 	            <pgc>
 	                <vob file="pond.mpg" />
 	            </pgc>
 	        </titles>
 	    </titleset>
 	</dvdauthor>

5. Create the dvd layout:
 	dvdauthor -o dvd -x pond.xml

6. Create the dvd iso image:
 	mkisofs -dvd-video -o test-dvd.iso dvd

7. Burn the iso image:
 	growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=test-dvd.iso

Decoding the digital video (ffmpeg in step 1) seemed to introduce some
weird color distortion.  Also, my dvd player seemed to have trouble
playing the disc, I don't know if this is because of the authoring method
or because it was a crappy disc.

Hope that helps, have fun, and if you can improve on this method, please
share your info :)

JV