booting a floppy image from a hard driver

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon May 16 16:50:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 01:01:27AM -0400, Joseph Kubik wrote:
> I have a computer with no cd drive and no floppy and no pxe enabled NIC.
>
> I have a set of boot floppy images that I'd like to be able to copy
> onto my hard drive and have as boot options.
>
> I've been trying to use the extlinux boot loader (one of the syslinux
> derivitives), with no luck.
>
> Have any of you used syslinux for this?
> How about lilo or grub, how do you point to a floppy .img file and boot it?

Use 'memdisk' from the syslinux package.  It lets you load a floppy image
into ram and use it like a real floppy.  Of course if you need more than
one floppy worth to do everything, you can't do that.

Would it not be simpler to just temporarily put in a cdrom drive and
then do the install or put in a floppy drive?  WHy make life harder than
it has to be?

Lennart Sorensen