Please distribute (quickly): Made in Canada Stallman video?

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 16 05:10:58 UTC 2005

I apologize for the haste of this message, I may be too late already,
however over the last few hours some dialog has started over the
possibility of recording this weeks presentation by Richard Stallman
in Calgary.

Unfortunately, voice recording is all that is within CUUG's means -
they are funding the entire event and have been unable to find a
volunteer with the appropriate equipment for a video recording.

I would like to put a call out to help support CUUG and further Mr.
Stallman's message on the dangers of software patents.

While certainly not rich, I'll start a donation pot with a few hundred
dollars if there's even a hope.  I see tremendous value in a (Made in
Canada!) video on this topic.  In particular, I would like to make it
available to MP's and to the parties.

The political landscape is in turmoil and the media is (naturally) all
over it.  If you're looking for a way to make a difference in Canadian
politics, give the politicians something that's easy to digest.  A
Stallman video might be just what the doctor ordered.

There is *very little* time left - the event is this Wednesday.  If
anyone is willing to contribute funds for a video recording of this
event, please email me *asap* so that I can get an estimate of what
resources are available and to co-ordinate with CUUG if there is
enough.

Please distribute quickly - the larger the audience of this message,
the better the odds to acquire the resources in time (may be less than
24 hours).  It is my sincerest hope that a few others will come
forward in what time remains...

Thanks,
- Scott.

--

(From the Calgary Unix Users Group site at http://www.cuug.ab.ca/)

The Danger of Software Patents

Richard Stallman from the Free Software Foundation and of the GNU
Project, author of the GPL, the man who made GNU/Linux possible, will
be giving a talk in Calgary.

Richard Stallman will explain how software patents obstruct software
development. Software patents are patents that cover software ideas.
They restrict the development of software, so that every design
decision brings a risk of getting sued. Patents in other fields
restrict factories, but software patents restrict every computer user.
Economic research shows that they even retard progress.

Seating is limited - please make sure you register. There will be a
draw for a door prize from the registration list.

As a matter of principle, Richard Stallman refuses to lecture where
there is a compulsory attendance fee. CUUG is paying the full costs of
sponsoring this event (flights, equipment rental, etc.), estimated at
$2000 to $3000.

--
- SGE