The Clocks ticking... (Was: Canada's own DMCA)

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 15 20:42:23 UTC 2005

With the next major vote of confidence coming up this week (May 19th),
I'd just like to re-iterate some information from p2pnet and Digital
Copyright Canada.

(If you haven't signed the petition yet and would like to, now is the
time to do it.  Mine will be in the mailbox tomorrow morning.)

"Bending to relentless pressure from the entertainment industry,
heritage minister Frulla says she wants to "amend" Canada's
"antiquated" intellectual property laws through proposed new copyright
legislation to be tabled **in June.**"  (emphasis added)

(Source: http://p2pnet.net/story/4772 "Don't Change Canada's IP Laws")

"The Ministers of Heritage and Industry are currently in the process
of drafting a Bill. We want to ensure that the petition has been
presented before any such Bill is first read. That means that we want
the petition presented as early as possible in 2005. That means
gathering the signatures together now. Some are already in the hands
of MPs, but don't let that stop you from sending them in - once
signatures start getting presented to Parliament, there may well be an
increase in interest and thus a large "Second wave" of signatures."

(Source: http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ "Petition for
Users' Rights: When do you need the signatures?")

Additional summarized information on why this is important to Canadian
citizens will be available on the wiki in the next few days.

--
- SGE