The locked-down desktop

Mike Newman presidentofthefuture-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 15 06:00:48 UTC 2005

On 5/14/05, Sy <sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Blocking a user from using their own system with security features
> wouldn't be well received in my opinion.. but having them log in as a
> regular user to do 95% of their work would go a long way in keeping a
> nice happy system going.
Well, the target audience for this thought experiment is my
girlfriend's landlady. She bought a PC a while ago and the vendor
installed Windows 2000 Professional. I did my best to lock it down
(gave her a regular user account, installed a virus scanner, spyware
scanner, all the latest updates, etc.)
All that she expects out of her computer are, as I said, word
processing, web browsing, e-mail and FreeCell. Even in this secured
state, it's sadly unable to deliver this functionality without my
regular intervention. There's always a virus, or Word crashes, or IE
won't load, or Thunderbird craps itself... etc.

--
Get Firefox - Take back the Web
http://www.getfirefox.com/