The locked-down desktop

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 15 01:09:16 UTC 2005

http://pclinuxos.com/

Yes, it exists.. with all the functionality you want.  Office, IM, p2p
is all configured out of the box by default.  I could use the stock
liveboot cd for most of my needs.

For other functionality.. install it to a HD, add packages (via
apt-get or synaptic), and then wrap it back up into a bootable and
installable cd.

--

I'd say that there are a number of liveboot installable distros which
would do the "average user" thing quite well.

Blocking a user from using their own system with security features
wouldn't be well received in my opinion.. but having them log in as a
regular user to do 95% of their work would go a long way in keeping a
nice happy system going.