OT: Re:Help to get rid of http://oharra.coconla.net ad bug.

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue May 10 19:45:59 UTC 2005

On May 7, 2005 10:56, Rob Sutherland wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 10:42:20 -0400
>
> Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Frank Peng wrote:
> > > I received a hello email and downloaded its ASCII file
> > > and I carelessly installed it. That is the damned
> > > http://oharra.cocola.net ad bug!
> > >
> > > Whenever I boot my computer it lauch Microsoft IE and
> > > opne its ad page. I do not know how to get rid of it.
> > >
> > > Please help!
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > Install Linux? Being a Linux group we might be a little better able to
> > help if the problem persists after Linux is running. :p
> >
> > In the meantime, go to http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/ and
> > download Search and Destroy, update it and run it. If that doesn't work
> > I think they have a forum where you might find people more... equiped...
> > to help you.
>
> That'll work.
>
> Here are a couple of other things you can do, if you decide to stay with
> that other operating system
>
> Install Firefox and don't use IE

I suggest the same thing but I am not sure how effective that advice really
is. After all, many applications use embedded IE controls so presumably,
using those applications might still make the system vulnerable. Applications
that come to mind are: Outlook (Express), MS Office apps, Eudora, essentially
anything that could load Active X controls.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation