DVD ISO problem

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 10 15:05:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 10:48:31AM -0400, William O'Higgins wrote:
> The disc I am trying to copy is a standard movie DVD.  I have directed
> the above commands at any and all directories/files in the trees of the
> initial DVD.
>
> I tried dvdbackup as well, but it is not as effective, because the
> resultant copies have had their copy protection stripped off (and then
> they don't play in DVD players reliably) - what I am looking for is a
> bit-for-bit copy (onto a dual layer disc if necessary).  Is this
> possible?  Are there features on a DVD that make this unworkable?

Unless you have a DVD-R(A) drive you can't even write the area of the
DVD that would hold the encryption keys, so a bit for bit copy is
impossible.  There is a visible unwriteable area on blank DVDs right
where the CSS keys would go on a commercial DVD.  DVD-R(A) doesn't have
that, but the discs are expensive, hard to find, and the drives cost
$1000+.  All modern DVD writers are DVD-R(G) [and DVD+R +RW -RW which
are all general use type discs).

The only way to copy a DVD movie that is encrypted is to use one of the
tools that can decrypt and extract the files from the DVD, and then burn
them to a new DVD without encryption.  If the menu files have some
clever check for encryption somehow later, well then you have a new
problem to solve.

Of course since most new DVDs seem to now be dual layer (and hence over
4.5GB) you would need a dual layer disc to hold the copy, which last I
checked costs almost as much as just buying another copy of the movie.

Lennart Sorensen