Beware: NetGEAR hangs up on customers and does not support Linux!

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 10 13:13:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 04:53:17PM -0400, Marc Lijour wrote:
> This switch is a replacement for another one.
> I plug it in: the network is down.
> I plug the older one back in: the network is up.

Well your switch might be DOA.  It does happen.

What happens if you go connect some completely different machines to it
(liek at a friends place)?  Just to rule out it doesn't just hate your
machines/network cards/cables.

> Confirmation from NetGEAR.
> I don't understand either but there is an error message.

The message about IPv6 is NOT an error message, simply a notice (from
the kernel).

> Ok. I should take it less personnally then :-)

Yep.  Call centers don't pay well, and is apparently considered just an
expense by many large companies.  The service level they provide seems
to show it too.  People that actually care about customers don't tend to
last very long as they are obviously taking way too long on each call.

Someone I know that used to do this could tell from the call logs that
many people would simply ask the person to do something which would make
windows insist on a reboot, and ask the person to call back after the
reboot, hence making it some other call person's problem.  The change /
reboot never was intended to solve anything given the problem described
by the caller.

Lennart Sorensen