DVD ISO problem

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 10 02:57:46 UTC 2005

On May 9, 2005 10:50 pm, William O'Higgins wrote:
> In an effort to back up a DVD I am trying to make an ISO, which I would
> later burn.  I am running into a problem with mkisofs, and Google has
> not helped me.
>
> The first command I tried was this:
>
> % mkisofs -dvd-video -udf -o dvd.iso /dvd/
>
> And the output of that is this:
>
> INFO:   UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
>     Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
>     use -input-charset to override.
> mkisofs: Unable to make a DVD-Video image.
>
> This indicates that it is assuming UTF-8, and will continue, then I
> dies.  Still, I tried this:
>
> % mkisofs -input-charset iso8859-1 -dvd-video -udf -o dvd.iso /dvd/
>
> Which gave me the much more terse:
>
> mkisofs: Unable to make a DVD-Video image.
>
> So there's something wrong, but mkisofs is not being very helpful here.
> Anyone have any ideas?

If the total disk space is below 4.4gb then take a look at this
http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/  to backup the dvd to disk, then use
growisofs to make the .iso

http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/dvdbackup-readme.html

Use lxdvdrip if it over 4.4gb

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/lxdvdrip/

lxdvdrip will automate grabbing, compression of the video files, and making
the .iso, then burning the iso. If you do not want to burn it, then do not
configure that part of the config file. /etc/lxdvdrip.conf

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca