DVD ISO problem

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 10 02:50:03 UTC 2005

In an effort to back up a DVD I am trying to make an ISO, which I would
later burn.  I am running into a problem with mkisofs, and Google has
not helped me.

The first command I tried was this:

% mkisofs -dvd-video -udf -o dvd.iso /dvd/

And the output of that is this:

INFO:   UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
    Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
    use -input-charset to override.
mkisofs: Unable to make a DVD-Video image.

This indicates that it is assuming UTF-8, and will continue, then I
dies.  Still, I tried this:

% mkisofs -input-charset iso8859-1 -dvd-video -udf -o dvd.iso /dvd/

Which gave me the much more terse:

mkisofs: Unable to make a DVD-Video image.

So there's something wrong, but mkisofs is not being very helpful here.
Anyone have any ideas?
--

yours,

William