Beware: NetGEAR hangs up on customers and does not support Linux!

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon May 9 15:36:47 UTC 2005

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 03:23:39AM -0400, Marc Lijour wrote:
> I have a classical set up with a home build router a DMZ and the private LAN
> where the switch is. I just bought this 100Mbps switch as a replacement for a
> 10Mbps I had.
>
> When I plug it in it just does not work. I see the link LED on, fine.
> Now because my eth card here is set up with both a IP and IPv6 I wonder if the
> switch tries to discard anything but IPv6. Could that explain the problem?

So what type of network cards?  Are you sure the cables are working?

I highly doubt IPv6 has anything to do with it, since a switch doesn't
even work at a high enough layer to understand any version of IP.

> I am pretty disappointed with NetGEAR. First the tech guy seems to have a hard
> understanding what the router is and where it is. Then he discards quickly
> any technical info I can give him. Finally he tells me that they don't
> support Linux. It is written on the box Linux compatible, my device is not
> working, and that does not seem to bother him a little. The guy just cut the
> line and moves to the next customer (that last part is just a guess).

You were about to ruin his average call length.  Can't have that when
the measure of how good you are is how many calls you can get through in
an hour (apparently measuring customer satisfaction and actual problems
solved is much too hard, and difficult so show how you are saving money
with.  If you handle more calls per hour, obviously you are being more
efficient and saving money (hey if they call back about the same
problem, it's a new call and someone else's problem right?).

Lennart Sorensen