installfest support

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon May 9 15:44:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 12:30:49PM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Mepis has been *excellent* to me. www.mepis.com with very little effort
> you can go from Live CD to installed OS. The live CD has a button on the
> desktop that says, "Install Mepis to my computer" (or something to that
> effect). Hopefully the advantages are obvious... My friend Ken has figured
> out the workaround for those who don't have a bootable CD drive.
>
> And then once it's all up and running I just did a "dist upgrade" to get
> back to Debian. (Which I know and love.)

Just be aware that a number of good Debian help channels are NOT going
to help you if you didn't use a debian installer that used debootstrap
to setup the system, or the official installer.

knoppix and even mepis to some extent leave things just a little
different than a regular debian install which can cause lots of wasted
time and confusion if you tell people you run Debian and it turns out
you are only mostly running debian.

Just something to be aware off.

Besides the Debian sarge installer is not that hard to use.

Lennart Sorensen