Going Down Hard...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 9 16:36:49 UTC 2005

On 5/9/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I actually wonder what makes it the fc3 version of glibc 2.3.5?
>
> In the past redhat had released incompatible libc versions.  Do they
> still do that or is this just an issue of a glibc2.1 program doesn't
> like 2.3?

I'd expect this to be a matter of the latter.

There were quite a number of proprietary applications that got
compiled to use internal bits of GLIBC 2.0 (Oracle Database comes to
mind) where when things changed in 2.1, this caused some trouble.

I fully expect the problem to be that it is NOT good enough to have a
library that claims/feigns seeming-compatibility with the desired
LIBC; the application probably depends on bugs that exist in the
REQUIRED version of LIBC.

This may mean you have to install an old distribution version in order
to get the application to work.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)