Going Down Hard...

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun May 8 21:25:26 UTC 2005

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Gregory D Hough wrote:

>>> recompile the game with -g and run it under gdb using 'gdb game' then in
>>> gdb 'set args ...' (whatever you would give as args on the command line),
>>> and 'run'. The program will stop with a SIGSEGV at or near where the
>>> problem occured. This will tell you where to look.
> I cannot recompile the game without the source. It was installed with
> setup.sh off the CD but here goes...

ow. Closed source, eh ? Wrong mailing list perhaps ? (please see below)

> This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...(no debugging symbols
                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
without this and the source, it's useless to use gdb

> Program received signal SIG32, Real-time event 32.
> 0x08203930 in ?? ()
> (gdb) c

you should not do that once there is a bad fault. Anybody know what
SIG32 is ? It does not exist in my installation.

> 0x00000420 in ?? ()
this is in page 0 somewhere (a place where programs are not supposed to
go)

Since your program is static you have no way to know what happened. EVen
strace is useless for it. But try it anyway:

2>strace.out strace /your/suspect/program

then examine strace.out

Peter