Going Down Hard...

Gregory D Hough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Sun May 8 20:11:37 UTC 2005

Robert Brockway wrote:

> Do an ldd and report the results.  My gut feeling is a lib version which
> is reporting as acceptable but in fact isn't quite what the app is
> expecting.  If this is true then $LD_PRELOAD is your friend.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Rob

I wasn't aware of ldd or gdb and I thank you both. Not much from ldd:

[mr6re9 at mycrowsauce ~]$ ldd -v /usr/local/games/RT2/rt2
         not a dynamic executable

> Peter wrote:
>>
>> recompile the game with -g and run it under gdb using 'gdb game' then in
>> gdb 'set args ...' (whatever you would give as args on the command
>> line), and 'run'. The program will stop with a SIGSEGV at or near where
>> the problem occured. This will tell you where to look.
>>
>> good luck,
>> Peter
>>
>> --
I cannot recompile the game without the source. It was installed with
setup.sh off the CD but here goes...

[mr6re9 at mycrowsauce ~]$ gdb /usr/local/games/RT2/rt2
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.1post-1.20040607.43rh)
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...(no debugging
symbols found)...Using host libthread_db library
"/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/games/RT2/rt2
warning: shared library handler failed to enable breakpoint

Program received signal SIG32, Real-time event 32.
0x08203930 in ?? ()
(gdb) c
Continuing.

0x00000420 in ?? ()
(gdb) c
Continuing.

BUG! (Segmentation Fault)  Going down hard...
Railroad Tycoon II 1.54c
Built with glibc-2.1 on x86
Stack dump:
{
         0x818783e
         0x8166ac4
         0x816692b
         0x816080d
         0x816098e
         0x81578f1
         0x814fec9
         0x814ffa8
         0x8048373
         0x820037d
         0x8048111
}
Please send a full bug report,
along with the contents of autosave to: support-YbCKSAfbhHWakBO8gow8eQ at public.gmane.org
Unable to execute loki_qagent - exiting

Program exited with code 0377.
(gdb) quit

I suppose this means all of my old Loki game CD's are coasters? What are
those 0x0000000 things and can I get anymore clues from them?