weird ghosting of characters in X

Patrick Allen pallen3-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Mon May 2 15:30:44 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 05:19:38PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
>
>>thanks everyone.  this is SO not what I wanted to hear.
>>
>>anyway, going out of town for a couple of weeks, when I get back I
>>will try various hardwarrd configurations.  hmm, I like the idea of
>>taking off the monitor cover -- but it sounds kinda, I don't know,
>>dnagerous?

It can be dangerous as the CRT acts as a large capacitor and can store thousands
of volts for very long periods of time.  But if you're careful what you touch,
you should be fine.

Without seeing the image, it's hard to guess what adjustments will serve you
best.  In any case, they will likely only delay the inevitable.  You've probably
got an electrolytic capacitor somewhere that's failing.

The flyback transformer (Big black thing on main board with thick cable going to
the back of the CRT) usually has a couple of adjustment screws on it.  One is
for Focus, the other for screen voltage.  Making an adjustment to the Screen
Voltage may improve your picture somewhat in this case and it will be a lot
simpler than doing a full Grey Scale balance.

The adjustment is best done with an image to look at.  So be very careful as the
flyback transformer is the source of the big juice in a monitor.  Some monitors
have access ports in the cover than will allow you access with the right
screwdriver.

> I wouldn't do it.  The only monitor I ever opened was a comodore amiga
> monitor that the power switch broke on.  That I knew how to fix (aka
> bypass with a soldering iron and then use a cheap powerbar as the switch
> externally).  The rest of a monitor I won't go near.  I don't like high
> voltages.

*grin*  I've fixed three Commodore monitors with exactly the same fault.  Great
monitors though!

Pat Allen