weird ghosting of characters in X

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 2 15:42:09 UTC 2005

Patrick Allen wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 05:19:38PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
>>
>>> thanks everyone.  this is SO not what I wanted to hear.
>>> anyway, going out of town for a couple of weeks, when I get back I
>>> will try various hardwarrd configurations.  hmm, I like the idea of
>>> taking off the monitor cover -- but it sounds kinda, I don't know,
>>> dnagerous?
>

> It can be dangerous as the CRT acts as a large capacitor and can store
> thousands of volts for very long periods of time.  But if you're careful
> what you touch, you should be fine.
>
> Without seeing the image, it's hard to guess what adjustments will serve
> you best.  In any case, they will likely only delay the inevitable.
> You've probably got an electrolytic capacitor somewhere that's failing.
>
> The flyback transformer (Big black thing on main board with thick cable
> going to the back of the CRT) usually has a couple of adjustment screws
> on it.  One is for Focus, the other for screen voltage.  Making an
> adjustment to the Screen Voltage may improve your picture somewhat in
> this case and it will be a lot simpler than doing a full Grey Scale
> balance.
>
> The adjustment is best done with an image to look at.  So be very
> careful as the flyback transformer is the source of the big juice in a
> monitor.  Some monitors have access ports in the cover than will allow
> you access with the right screwdriver.

If you insist on working on the monitor, you must follow safety proceedures.

*ALWAYS* keep one hand in your pocket.
Keep power off, unless you're testing or making an adjustment that
requires power.
You should use non-metallic tools
Don't go anywhere near the high voltage terminal on the CRT.  That's the
one that sticks out of the side of the tube.  And stay away from the
components it connects to.

However, given the low cost of monitors, perhaps you'd be better off
buying another one.