Annoying wireless router

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun May 1 05:39:02 UTC 2005

> Does it help if I change from compatibility mode 802.11b/g to use just
> 802.11g? I thought maybe it's easier for the router to not keep the
> compatibility.

For testing purposes it might be beneficial to switch to "b" only mode.

> What means that there are just the channels 1,6, and 11 which are
> non-overlapping? Shouldn't I try then the other channels?

Take a look here.

http://www.taurus2.plus.com/pics/802_11b_overlap.png

If any 2 channels in use within range of each other overlap, then a
performance hit is taken.

If you can get someone to scan your area for you using kismet it might be
beneficial. kismet will detect cloaked networks while netstumbler will not.

It does sound like either interference or hardware problems. Looking for
interference can be difficult. One item that has caused grief for me in the
past is cheap motion sensor lighting systems. They too run in the 2.4ghz
band. If you or our neighbors have one of these lights, try cutting the power
to it and see if that makes a difference.

Or easier still, take your hardware to a differnet location ( ie. friends
house ) and test it there. Still the same problem, and I would lean towards
hardware/configuration. If the problem is gone, it is interference.

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca