Annoying wireless router

Steven Nagy Steven.Nagy-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun May 1 00:42:49 UTC 2005

Hi,

Thank you everybody for the answer.

I changed the default SSID the first time when I configured my router. I put
a very strange name :)

I tried today channel 3, channel 1 and then channel 11.

On each occasion I had interruptions.

When I was using channel 1, my router's signal and another router's signal
from the neighborhood was very similar:

http://www.stevenscreations.info/Download/Channel1.jpg

When I used channel 11, when the 000000000000 AP appeared, my signal was
disturbed very much and even the neighbor's signal. Or maybe the environment
disturbs my router also and makes it happen to appear a 000000000000 AP.

With channel 11:

http://www.stevenscreations.info/Download/Channel11.jpg

Then I tried channel 10, and something interesting happened. After I
restarted the router, I saw it transmitting on both channels 10 and channel
11. In this situation the signal of my neighbor was even worse. :) But when
I had interruptions he had too.

And sometime a new Access Point seems to show up wit a MAC address of
000000000000 with the same SSID as mine, for a very short time that causes a
gap in the normal AP signal. That's why I think my router is defective. But
this wouldn't explain the fact that the neighbor's signal is sometime
similar.

Here is the situation when I programmed the router to channel 10:

http://www.stevenscreations.info/Download/Channel10.jpg

After a while I closed NetworkStumbler and reopened it and the channel 11
disappeared. (It shouldn't have had to be there even before because my
router was configured to channel 10.)

Here is the signal level in this situation:

http://www.stevenscreations.info/Download/Channel10_2.jpg

Does it help if I change from compatibility mode 802.11b/g to use just
802.11g? I thought maybe it's easier for the router to not keep the
compatibility.

What means that there are just the channels 1,6, and 11 which are
non-overlapping? Shouldn't I try then the other channels?

I couldn't try Kismet, because I cannot use my wireless under Linux yet. I
have a Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g wireless incorporated in my
Compaq Presario R3000 laptop. Linux didn't recognize it and I don't have
rivers for it. I know I could use ndiswrapper as we discussed earlier and
use a Windows driver, but I didn't have time to try it to recompile
ndiswrapper with my Suse 9.1 kernel.

Steven