Thin Client and Sound

Phil Kay pkay-Wu5PbJhdqlKw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 30 23:46:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 18:16 -0500, Matt Cahill wrote:
>  Phil,
>
>   I know that - on some distros - the default mixer settings on KDE
>   have the volume set to zero for some reason (I seem to recall
>   Mandrake being one of those affected).  You may have checked this
>   already, but it's worth a look.
>
>   Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the response.  We're using SuSE Server (I suppose I should
have mentioned that in the details) and the mixer settings on it are
fine (but I don't think that shouldn't affect anything) and using aumix
on the thin-client have the sounds fine as well.  XMMS plays just fine
if I use the esd output and point it to the thin-client ip address.

I don't think it is a mixer setting.  The real issue is how to get the
ARTS sound system that advertises the ability to do network sound
configured to use it.  There is a check box to "Enable Network Sound" in
the sound system settings in the KDE control center, but I can't find
anything on what that setting means or if there are any other settings
that need be configured.

--
Phil Kay <pkay-Wu5PbJhdqlKw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>