Thin Client and Sound

Matt Cahill m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 30 23:16:32 UTC 2005

PK> Everyone,

PK> I'm normally just a lurker on the list, but I've been having some fun
PK> implementing thin-clients where I work.  They told me to cut my budget
PK> for new computers so I am working on a way to get older hardware to stay
PK> useful for longer periods of time.

PK> The thin-clients work great.  However, when a user wants to use KDE, I
PK> haven't been able to figure out how to get sound to work.  I can get
PK> individual applications to work by pointing the sound to esd on the
PK> thin-client.  KDE seems to indicate that ARTS can be used in a network
PK> environment, but I have had trouble finding any documentation on it.

PK> To initiate a further discussion, gnome just works.  It seems to
PK> identify the underlying sound system and picks it up just fine.

PK> Does anyone have any pointers on where to look for information.

PK> Thanks,

 Phil,

  I know that - on some distros - the default mixer settings on KDE
  have the volume set to zero for some reason (I seem to recall
  Mandrake being one of those affected).  You may have checked this
  already, but it's worth a look.

  Matt

--

Matt Cahill
                      m dash cahill at rogers dot com

"It is important to have this idea in one's mind, because otherwise
 one fails to grasp the whole spirit of modern Science-Philosophy.
 It does not aim at Truth; [...] it aims at maximum convenience."
 - A. Crowley