mailing list/mail web-archive software

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 28 20:08:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Anton Markov wrote:

> Thanks for the tip. Does anyone know which format Thunderbird uses, and how I
> can get it into mutt or some other 'traditional' format? The messages all
> appear to be stored in a single large file, seperated only by their own
> headers. Is that what is called "mbox"? (sorry, I am new to this low-level
> e-mail thing).

That's the unix mailbox format. The file stored under
/var/spool/mail/$USER has the same format if you are not using a MTA
with maildir option.

To split such a file into individual messages, try formail (from the
procmail package). Web mail archives can be made from the messages using
a variety of tools, like Hypermail (search the web for more).

Peter