mailing list/mail web-archive software

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 29 18:45:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 01:08:05PM -0500, Anton Markov wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am looking for a mail archive -> HTML and/or mailing list software.
>
> For this one project I am working on, we have been communicating by
> simply hitting the reply-all button. But now I want to preserve those
> e-mails (they are all in a local Thunderbird folder) and any future
> communication in a web-based HTML archive.
>
> So far I have looked at two possibilities:
> - - Various "Groups" services such as Google Groups, Yahoo! Groups, etc.
> However, they don't provide an option to upload old messages.
> - - Setting up a mailing list manager such as GNU Mailman. However, that
> seems like an overkill, and I don't want to set up a mail server (what
> what I've heard, it's a pain).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?
> - - Is there a web-based service that will let me upload old archives (the
> information is not sensitive, but has to remain private)?
> - - Is there a simple program to generate web-archives of e-mail messages?
> - - Can GNU Mailman or similar mailing list manager run in archive-only
> mode?
> - - Can I use GNU Mailman or similar program with a POP3 account (and
> sending via SMTP), so I can use a separate GMAIL account to receive the
> message?

I like lists-archives which uses mhonarc to convert messages to html and
makes monthly folders for mail and links to other messages in threads.
I believe it is what all the debian mailing list archives (at
lists.debian.org) use.  It simply has to have it's user subscribed to
the list and a cron job setup to run the update script at whatever
frequency you want the updates to be at, and it does the rest.

Lennart Sorensen