Linux Install Woes

John Wildberger wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 18 01:17:31 UTC 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 10:12 am, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:22:44AM -0500, John Wildberger wrote:
> > This is a follow up to my inquiry.
> > Thanks for all the good advice I got. As it turned out I had a lemon.
> > Returned the computer and got another one. Same HP pre-installed WIN XP
> > package. Installed Linux and works just fine.
>
> How amusing.  Yesterday The Register had an article where a very large
> computer dealer in Europe had asked what exactly HP did given they
> didn't design chips anymore, didn't build motherboards, etc.  HP seemed
> to claim they provided brand and quality.  Your machine sure didn't
> sound like a quality machine if it was a lemon. :)
>
> I guess what HP does is sell stuff they might have spec'd and had
> someone else build, and charge a fortune for putting ink in small
> plastic boxes. :)
>
> Lennart Sorensen

Here is a direct quote from HP tech service:

"HP does not recommend that customers install Linux on their Pavilion PCs;
however, we understand that some customers may wish to change operating
systems for their personal needs.  HP does not support Linux on any models of
HP Pavilion PCs at this time. "

To a certain extend I can understand their concern. To install linux on their
systems (this also includes Compaq Presario) is not a trivial matter.
To succeed, this is what I had to do:

1) make a 2 set DVD copy of the recover partition. This partition is at the
front end of the HD. You can do this only once !!!( it pays to have a standby
powersupply).
2)make a recovery tools CD for manipulating the recover partition.
3) remove the recover partition and move the Win XP part to the front.
4) use Partition Magic to make room for the Linux OS. My Partition Magic is
Ver7 and covers only HD up to 80G. My HD is 160G. This did not seem to bother
much, because I reduced the Win XP to 60G.
5) Created a 10G FAT32 partition so that later on my Linux OS can store into
the XP OS.
6) The remaining part of the HD I left empty.
7) Installed MDK10 into a 20G part of the unassigned part of the HD. I also
created a Swap partion of 2G
8)used GRUB instead lf LILO, because this will make it easier for installing
other Linux distros into the remaining HD space.
9)Drink lots of coffee during the process to keep awake.
10) celebrate with a good bottle of wine if everything worked.
John