Linux Install Woes

Dan Gennidakis dgenn-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 17 15:54:22 UTC 2005

Everyone including Dell and IBM does this for certain models. Especially desktops. Soon you will see OEMs doing the same for laptops for large vendors as those components are also becoming mass produced commodities.

Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote: On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:22:44AM -0500, John Wildberger wrote:
> This is a follow up to my inquiry.
> Thanks for all the good advice I got. As it turned out I had a lemon. Returned
> the computer and got another one. Same HP pre-installed WIN XP package.
> Installed Linux and works just fine.

How amusing. Yesterday The Register had an article where a very large
computer dealer in Europe had asked what exactly HP did given they
didn't design chips anymore, didn't build motherboards, etc. HP seemed
to claim they provided brand and quality. Your machine sure didn't
sound like a quality machine if it was a lemon. :)

I guess what HP does is sell stuff they might have spec'd and had
someone else build, and charge a fortune for putting ink in small
plastic boxes. :)

Lennart Sorensen
--
The Toronto Linux Users Group. Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org