What is "dual-channel DDR"?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 17 15:09:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:51:44PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> No, no...  there are about upto 100 thin-clients.  I'm just playing
> around with the specs for server which can service all those
> thin-clients.  There will probably be more than 1 server.  But, as
> starting point, 1GB spread over 100 users means 10MB/user which is good
> enough, so I say it's do able with 1 server.

Given shared libraries on Linux 1GB over a 100 users may still be a bit
low, but certainly 2GB or 4GB would be quite good.  The main
disadvantage of the 64bit systems so far is a few programs not yet
working in 64bit mode such as openoffice 1.x (2.x should work though
when it is ready) and of course using win32 codecs with mplayer and such
things.  Most other things work.

Of course an athlon64/opteron with a 64bit kernel running a 32bit user
space still gets to use 4GB or 8GB ram efficiently with 100 users.  I
imagine they also come with gigabit networking which would give nice
speed for 100mbit users if the switch has gigabit to the server and
100mbit to the clients.

Lennart Sorensen