Linux Install Woes

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 15 15:38:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:14:26AM -0500, John Wildberger wrote:
> Recently I bought a HPa820n Pavilion Computer with XP OS installed.
> I used Partition Magic to create some additional partitions.
> When trying to install Mdk10.0 it goes through the initial install log and
> then comes to the point where it says: Loading program into memory,
> At this point the computer hangs.
> Could it be that either the HW is too advanced (800Mz FSB) or that some other
> quirk is preventing the loading?
> Any suggestions?

Well it could be:
Defective RAM
Defective CPU
Defective motherboard
Defective software

Try a different distribution.

Could also be some bios setting that is wrong.  Not unlikely on a
machine like that actually.  how much ram does the kernel show on boot
as detected?  How much is actually in the system?  Does the installer
have a text mode?

Lennart Sorensen