Databases

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 15 05:27:17 UTC 2005

On March 14, 2005 22:47, Gary Layng wrote:
> A somewhat esoteric seeming question about PostgreSQL  and Firebird
> database programs, but: is one preferable over the other?  The only thing I
> know about them is that they're both open source database programs.
>
> I'm giving Quasar a try.  It's a newly open-sourced accounting program
> created by this Calgary company.  The earlier, "OK to use on a single
> computer" non-open-source licence version was no biggie for setup and etc.,
> but the new version is demanding either one of these database programs (or
> Sybase, which is proprietary, and therefore if possible to be avoided...),
> and the only database program I have is mySQL.

I was just trolling through the list archives for Quasar having just installed
it last week. I got the impression that the Firebird version was immature.
That does not bother me as PostgreSQL is an excellent database. Most distros
have a package for it. I have compiled it from source a few times without any
problems so there is always that option if you cannot find a package for your
distro. Note: the Quasar installation docs have the order of things wrong.
You must create the PostgreSQL database *before* attempting to connect to it
from Quasar.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay