Databases

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 15 05:26:30 UTC 2005

On March 14, 2005 23:37, Jason Shein wrote:
> On March 15, 2005 03:47 am, Gary Layng wrote:
> > A somewhat esoteric seeming question about PostgreSQL  and Firebird
> > database programs, but: is one preferable over the other?  The only thing
> > I know about them is that they're both open source database programs.
> >
> > I'm giving Quasar a try.  It's a newly open-sourced accounting program
> > created by this Calgary company.  The earlier, "OK to use on a single
> > computer" non-open-source licence version was no biggie for setup and
> > etc., but the new version is demanding either one of these database
> > programs (or Sybase, which is proprietary, and therefore if possible to
> > be avoided...), and the only database program I have is mySQL.
>
> Have you looked into SQL-Ledger ?

Have you looked at Quasar Accounting? :) I have both installed and working.
The UI in Quasar, though it is not stellar, is miles ahead of SQL-Ledger. I
can understand using an HTML form interface for occasional use but to use it
intensively every day seems painful. What is the difference between HTML
forms and green screen apps, other than pretty icons? Not much, other than
the HTML app is probably less robust and more susceptible to things like
cross site scripting or SQL injection attacks.

It is quite possible that SQL-Ledger's back end is superiour to that of Quasar
Accounting but I think the front end of SQL-Ledger leaves much to be desired.
I know there is a SOAP interface, which is well documented by our very own
Christopher Browne in the Wrox Press book "Professional Open Source Web
Services", but having the interface alone does not an application make.

Having said that, just releasing source under the GPL is not enough to form a
community either. Quasar is woefully underdocumented and it is all C++ code.
There is not one .ui file to be found anywhere in the project so forget about
trying to use Qt Designer to modify it or trying to use a more productive
language like Python through the PyQt bindings to modify Quasar.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation