Primus improperly labelling mail

Allen Taylor agtnews-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 11 20:27:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 01:58:13PM -0500, Alex Beamish wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:52:22 -0500, jim ruxton <cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Hi I didn't put spam in the subject line in case the message got dumped.
> > Lately Primus has been labeling more legit mails as spam. This is a
> > problem for me since I have a filter that looks at the header and
> > trashes anything with ******SPAM****** (Primus label) in it. I'm using
> > Evolution. Is there a way I can at least keep those messages labled spam
> > but from someone in my address book. I also use spamassassin but it's
> > not causing the problem. After the quick filter looking at the header
> > spamassassin looks at the rest of my mail. Any thoughts how I can avoid
> > dumping some important mail?
>
> If the spam catcher is putting its 'spam score' in the header of the
> mail message, perhaps your mailer could do something based on the
> score value.

I've looked at a few of Primus's "scores" and they are all over 7.0 to
be marked as SPAM.

You've hit a real sore spot with me. I have an email composed to Primus
telling them I'm leaving their service because of their idiotic spam
filtering and I'm holding off sending it until I cool down a bit. In the
past two months their spam filtering has gotten worse every week. My
wife and I don't get a lot of spam. Of the mail Primus is marking as
spam (around 10-20 per day), at least 75% is legimate email (personal,
mailing lists, TLUG, etc). And of the actual spam I get, 80% is NOT
marked as spam. They have really screwed this up. I talked to their tech
support two days ago and was basicly given the brush off - they have no
whitelisting capabilities and no ability to turn off the spam filtering
by account.

I know spam is a real problem but this cure seems much worse than the
disease. Istop here I come?

Allen