Cell Phones & Text messaging

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 11 03:31:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:40:17 -0500, Alan Cohen
<alan-bdq14YP6qtTV+N59fa8YiVaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org> wrote:
[...]
> I'm thinking about using a cellular phone and would need at least the
> same functionality. So I guess there are 3 questions:
> (1)the phone
> (2)the carrier
> (3)the software (which I could write, I suppose) to make it all work.
>
> - I'd want to use SNPP/SMTP and TAP or something equivalent, ie:
> Internet with non-Internet fallback
> - One of the downsides heretofore is that the computer could know that
> its message had been sent, but couldn't know that its message had been
> received. Is "received confirmation" a possibility?
> - Any suggestions?

My guess is that you could use a Blackberry, but don't quote me on
that.  I just downloaded RIM's JDE this afternoon.  Looks farily
decent (at first glance anyway) and comes with an emulator.
http://www.blackberry.com/developers/index.shtml

The folks over at Smart Mobile Assets might also be able to help you.
http://smartmobileassets.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=,v=portal

--
- SGE