Cell Phones & Text messaging

Alan Cohen alan-QVObF66B6qeOg/Yh5kgvkFaTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 11 00:40:17 UTC 2005

I've been using an alphanumeric pager for years. The source of most of
the messages has always been computer systems that tell me when they're
in trouble. These messages come via Internet (SNPP) and dialup (TAP) for
cases when the trouble is Internet connectivity.

I'm thinking about using a cellular phone and would need at least the
same functionality. So I guess there are 3 questions:
 (1)the phone
 (2)the carrier
 (3)the software (which I could write, I suppose) to make it all work.

- I'd want to use SNPP/SMTP and TAP or something equivalent, ie:
Internet with non-Internet fallback
- One of the downsides heretofore is that the computer could know that
its message had been sent, but couldn't know that its message had been
received. Is "received confirmation" a possibility?
- Any suggestions?

--
Sincerely,
Alan Cohen alan-bdq14YP6qtTV+N59fa8YiVaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org voice: 416-783-9826