Colocation Experiences

Jason Slaughter jason-2F8E0OLjuh154TAoqtyWWQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 8 19:15:27 UTC 2005

>I was also looking at managed hosting, where you don't have to buy the
>box. But it's more expensive. On the other hand, Virtual Private
>Hosting looks kind of sexy: prices well under $50/mth, and full root
>access. You're sharing the same box with other VPH customers, but it
>seems to be a secure environment.

If you are considering a Virtual Private Server, I can strongly
recomment Linode: http://www.linode.com . I've tried a few VPS
suppliers, and Linode is definitely the best so far (and only marginally
more expensive than the lousy providers). They have a web interface that
will let you reboot, resize partitions, and add bandwidth/ram/disk space
on the fly. They also have strict provisions in place to ensure that
somebody else on the same box isn't chewing up all the disk bandwidth,
which is the reason I had to leave my last VPS provider.

A VPS is the best deal you can get if you can live without having the
resources of an entire dedicated server.