OT: sharing Rogers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 7 21:52:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 04:49:40PM -0500, Matt Cahill wrote:
>   Okay, this isn't *totally* off-topic as it partially involves my
>   Libranet box...can I assume that there's no way to share a Rogers
>   hi-speed connection with another networked desktop without either:
>
>   a) paying the $9.95 for a separate IP, or
>
>   b) using one of the two networked computers (the other is a Mac) as
>   a NAT gateway?
>
>   I know the official Rogers policy, but thought I'd ask in case I'm
>   in the dark about another solution [not that I'm suggesting or
>   implying that I would ever wish to exploit the possibilities of my
>   cable feed].

Option b seems to be the most common.  Some people buy a small router
box to do the sharing.  I personally prefer using a linux box as the
router/firewall.  Very few people want to pay for option a since it
doesn't give you a whole lot more, unless you like playing games under
windows on the internet and want two people able to play any game what
so ever at the same time in which case two IPs are actually useful.
Rather pricy for an IP though given they don't give you any extra speed
or bandwidth as far as I know.

Lennart Sorensen