Installation of Fedora over SuSE

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 6 17:20:53 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 03:57:14PM +0000, Jason Shein wrote:
> Well I have totally moved away from any RPM based distros. In the past
> I have used Mandrake, Fedora, SuSE and many others.
>
> Linux is advancing at a staggering rate. This means that new versions of your
> favorite distro are becoming available every 6-9 months. Unfortunately there
> is no painless, failsafe upgrade procedure for Mandrake, Fedora, or SuSE. If
> you read any of their forums you will find in every one, that the upgrade
> procedure available on the new cd's is never recommended, for various
> reasons.
>
> By using Debian or Gentoo based distros, you are constantly updating your
> machine to the newest features, enhancements and bugfixes.
>
> Debian "unstable" is just as stable as any RPM based distro. Apt-get is a
> fantastic method of managing your packages.
>
> If you install gentoo you will always have the latest and greatest installed
> system. For example if you install 2004.6 and do all your updates, when
> 2005.0 comes out , you will have the same installed system without having to
> wipe and upgrade from the new media.
>
> Everyone has their opinons of what is the perfect distro. I just got
> frustrated with RPM dependency hell and lack of smooth upgrade procedures.
>
> If you want a GUI installer then take a look into:
>
> Xandros open circulation edition ( Debian )
> http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopoc/dsk_oc_intro.html
> review here http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9848
>
> Vidalinux ( pre compiled Gentoo )
> http://desktop.vidalinux.com/
> review here  http://madpenguin.org/cms/html/47/3321.html

Slackware doesn't have any dependency problem, because it doesn't do
dependency check at all. :-)  To upgrade, back up modified files (you do
that anyways), wipe clean, do full install, restore backed files.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
Slackware Linux -- because it works.