Installation of Fedora over SuSE

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 6 15:57:14 UTC 2005

On March 6, 2005 02:51 pm, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Well, part of why I've shied away from Fedora is because it is a
> glorified beta for Red Hat itself. To anyone who knows, how exactly does
> FC2 relate to FC3? Is FC2 a beta that was ditched for a new verison or
> is it a stable release with FC3 being the test release? I hear Fedora
> has a great forum though, a distinctly appealing feature for me. I might
> check it (Fedora) out depending on how your experience with it.
>
> I'm sure that SuSE vs. Fedora is like Intel vs. AMD or any other similar
> comparison -- certain applications or features are present in one and
> not the other and vice versa.
>
> Which other (if any) distributions made your shortlist?

Well I have totally moved away from any RPM based distros. In the past I have
used Mandrake, Fedora, SuSE and many others.

Linux is advancing at a staggering rate. This means that new versions of your
favorite distro are becoming available every 6-9 months. Unfortunately there
is no painless, failsafe upgrade procedure for Mandrake, Fedora, or SuSE. If
you read any of their forums you will find in every one, that the upgrade
procedure available on the new cd's is never recommended, for various
reasons.

By using Debian or Gentoo based distros, you are constantly updating your
machine to the newest features, enhancements and bugfixes.

Debian "unstable" is just as stable as any RPM based distro. Apt-get is a
fantastic method of managing your packages.

If you install gentoo you will always have the latest and greatest installed
system. For example if you install 2004.6 and do all your updates, when
2005.0 comes out , you will have the same installed system without having to
wipe and upgrade from the new media.

Everyone has their opinons of what is the perfect distro. I just got
frustrated with RPM dependency hell and lack of smooth upgrade procedures.

If you want a GUI installer then take a look into:

Xandros open circulation edition ( Debian )
http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopoc/dsk_oc_intro.html
review here http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9848

Vidalinux ( pre compiled Gentoo )
http://desktop.vidalinux.com/
review here  http://madpenguin.org/cms/html/47/3321.html

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca