Rogers / Second Cup hotspots

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 4 20:30:02 UTC 2005

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:19:23PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
>
>>This afternoon, I forced myself to drink a "Chocolate Lover's Latte"
>>(vanilla fudge brownie) in order to test the new Rogers / Second Cup hot
>>spots.  I'm happy to report, that I had no problem running WiFi, with my
>>ThinkPad, running SuSE 9.2.  The service is free, until April.
>

> I was also fine with my Debian laptop. A couple things of note:
> 	- there's a web site you have to visit to "activate" the service (ask
> 	  what the URL is...I think I was able to put any URL into my browser
> 	  and it redirected)
> 	- when you get home you may need to update your /etc/resolv.conf file
> 	  so that it points at your home DNS server instead of the rogers
> 	  server.

I had similar experiences.  I don't have to worry about the DNS, because
I normally use Rogers anyway.  Also, I use different profiles for
ethernet & WiFi, with the WiFi side configured to always get the info
from DNS.

Right now, that first page you see, is simply an intro to the service,
but I imagine that it'll be used to authorize the connection, once
charging begins.  However, I do thing the prices are a bit high.  It's
15 cents/minute or $9 hour.  At the McDonalds hot spots, you only have
to spend a certain amount (< $4 IIRC) on food, to get 45 minutes of free
access.  Also, according to what I've read, providing free WiFi as an
inducement, is more profitable than charging for access.