"linux printing" for wireless

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 4 09:26:36 UTC 2005

On March 4, 2005 01:29 pm, Mike Newman wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:43:39 -0500, Matt Cahill <m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Thanks for the links, guys.  I don't have a 'nix notebook, but a mixed OS
> > household (me-linux, the wife-OSX) to setup.  Hoping to share a cable
> > connection over a wireless LAN, using a DLink wireless router, an AirPort
> > card for her desktop, and a Linux-friendly wi-fi card for my desktop.
>
> I've got the exact same setup, right down to the DLink WiFi router.
> The only problems were with WPA. WEP worked great with the GNU/Linux
> box (note: I am using NDISwrapper), but I could never get WPA to work.
> For the time being the Linux box is off and I've got WPA going on the
> PowerBook. I guess with a Linux-friendly card you could dive into
> wpa_supplicant and see if it works.
> (http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/)
> Be forewarned: use Software Update to update your AirPort package! I
> could not get WPA-PSK to work otherwise.
>
> Mike

Just be aware, WPA with a weak passphrase is easier to crack than WEP.

http://www.tinypeap.com/docs/WPA_Passive_Dictionary_Attack_Overview.pdf

-snip-

to crack WEP, an attacker has to gather many packets, possibly millions, but
can then easily crack any key. For WPA, certain shorter or dictionary-based
keys are highly crackable because an attacker can monitor a short transaction
or force that transaction to occur and then perform the crack far away from
the physical site.

Pick passphrases that aren’t entirely comprised of dictionary words, meaning
they need some random nonsense in them. “My dog has fleas”: very bad.
“Mdasf;lkjadfklja;dfja;dfja;d”: very good, but hard to type in. Passphrases
should be at least 20 characters.

A random passphrase of at least 96 bits and preferably 128 bits will defeat
the cracking

-snip-

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca