OT: RAM Not All Seen

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 1 21:38:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 04:31:08PM -0500, John M. Moniz wrote:
> Thanks, it looks like my efforts to get a cheap deal didn't pay off.
> Staples is (was?) having a sale on the 256MB sdram sticks for $50 (after
> mail in rebate). That's the cheapest I have seen.

Unless they have double sided PC133 dimms, they won't do you any good on
a P5A it would seem.  Unless you can find someone that for some reason
has double sided in a system that doesn't need it and is willing to
trade.  Unfortunately double sided 256M were never very common since at
the time they would have been required, most people didn't have that
much ram and 128M were much better price/MB than 256M.  Once higher
density chips came out and boards started supporting them, people made
single sided 256M since they require only half the number of components
and are hence cheaper to make and hence sell for less.  Most people
buying a computer at a time where 256M or 512M made sense were using
systems that could use single sided 256M or double sided 512M.  Anything
that takes bigger memory than that is usually DDR, or a server with
buffered ECC ram where different chip and density rules apply.

Lennart Sorensen