OT: RAM Not All Seen

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 1 20:33:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:41:30PM -0500, John M. Moniz wrote:
> I bought a stick of 256MB SDRAM ( gbMicro PC133, 32X8) and my PCs only
> recognize 128MB. I have tried 3 different sticks from the same store,
> installed each on 3 different PCs, and in all cases only half the ram
> was seen by the bios.
>
> A google search found people talking about the problem, but no solutions
> found.
>
> Notes:
> - MBs: 2 asus p5a (amd k6-2); 1 soyo sy-5ema (amd k6-2) .
> - 100MHz bus
> - manuals for each MB indicate that a 256MB stick is allowed.
> - I have a 256mb pc133 stick on 2 computers.
> - tried new ram by itself and also in combination with existing ram
> - tried all different dimm slots.
> - replaced stick twice - am on my 3rd try.
> - the 1st two sticks had 2 long chips on each side, the 3rd stick had 8
> chips on one side only but all were labeled the same.
>
> I was going to return the last stick and give it up with that type of
> ram, but was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the solution might be.

Many older boards are limited in what density of ram they can use and
require 16chip modules for 256M sticks (aka double sided sticks).  Newer
chipsets support higher density chips and hence can use 8chip modules
(single sided, and most common 256M variety today).

A P5A is likely in that situation, given most 440LX (P2 chipset) boards
have that limitation and the P5A is about the same age.

According to www.crucial.com, the P5A can use up to 384MB EDO or 768MB
SDRAM.  Ram can be 66, 100 or 133MHz, and it can use 128MB (16Meg x 64)
or 256MB (32Meg x 64) memory.  They unfortunately don't make it clear if
the memory they guarantee will work with the P5A is single or double
sided.

Lennart Sorensen