OT: RAM Not All Seen

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 1 20:24:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, John M. Moniz wrote:

> I bought a stick of 256MB SDRAM ( gbMicro PC133, 32X8) and my PCs only
> recognize 128MB. I have tried 3 different sticks from the same store,
> installed each on 3 different PCs, and in all cases only half the ram
> was seen by the bios.

I've heard of this type of problem.  In the cases I've heard of I believe
it was h/w related (essentially the way the ram is designed vs the way the
board sees it).  Hopefully this is not the case.

In the hopes it is a bios bug or a ram size detection problem you can tell
the kernel to believe it has a certain amount of ram regardless of what it
detected.

Pass mem=256M to the kernel.  If you don't have 256MB or more memory
actually installed the box will crash eventually when doing this.  So pass
this parameter then run a job which gobbles memory.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.