slide scanners (again)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 30 16:44:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 04:02:23PM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> I've been trying to track down a flat bed scanner (for books) and a slide
> scanner for my dad. Most of the options that I would have gone with appear
> to be sold out...
>
> I've been trying to cross reference from here:
> http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=&model=&bus=any
> and with Staples/Future Shop...but I'm wondering if anyone can make some
> recommendations. The Epson Perfection 1260 Photoscanner doesn't seem to
> exist anymore (we can get the slide adaptor, but not the scanner itself).
>
> Suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated. I've already spent several
> hours trying to figure this out but with no luck.

It is a shame epson stopped doing their own scanner chips, since now you
can't just assume an epson scanner will work with sane, which in the
past was pretty much just a given.

It looks like the Epson 2480 and 2580 are mostly supported in the snapscan
backend.  I haven't used either though.  They appear to handle negatives
and slides, as far as I understand the features.  The 2480 seems to go
for about $120, while a 2580 photo (has a film auto loader thingy) goes
for $190.  Seems 12xx and 16xx are getting harder to find with the price
so low on the 24xx/25xx models.

Lennart Sorensen