slide scanners (again)

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane-MHIYrZpDPrNWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 30 03:00:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:31:32PM -0400, Stewart C.Russell wrote:
> What size of trannies do you need to scan? Epson are the only
> manufacturer making flatbeds that can double as tranny scanners worth a
> dern. They're still a lot softer and less contrasty than a real slide
> scanner, though.

Fortunately just 35mm slides. The scans need to be good enough to use in
"PowerPoint" presentations, and possibly reproduced in print. Although the
immediate need is digital presentations. Do you think a dual-purpose
scanner will be good enough? The other option was to get a digital camera
with a slide adapter instead of a slide scanner...but this starts becoming
more of a photography question than a Linux question. ;)

> This is one of the few occasions I'd strongly recommend using commercial
> software. SANE's controls are very poor. Ed Hamrick's software is pretty
> cheap, yet supports more scanners under Linux than you could think
> possible: <http://hamrick.com/>

Ahh! Thanks for the recommendation.

We'll check out Henry's. I don't think I realized they had scanners. I
thought they were more cameras than anything else.

regards,
emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin