slide scanners (again)

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 29 22:31:32 UTC 2005

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> I've been trying to track down a flat bed scanner (for books) and a slide
> scanner for my dad. Most of the options that I would have gone with appear
> to be sold out...

What size of trannies do you need to scan? Epson are the only
manufacturer making flatbeds that can double as tranny scanners worth a
dern. They're still a lot softer and less contrasty than a real slide
scanner, though.

> I've been trying to cross reference from here:
> http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=&model=&bus=any

This is one of the few occasions I'd strongly recommend using commercial
software. SANE's controls are very poor. Ed Hamrick's software is pretty
cheap, yet supports more scanners under Linux than you could think
possible: <http://hamrick.com/>

Henry's outlet store at Queen and Jarvis may be your friend for a huge
range of models.

cheers,
 Stewart