Rogers block out Re:Need an ISP in TO

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 29 21:43:51 UTC 2005

runing an isp and adminsitering a few more,
this rogers smtp off load over the last couple of days has been weird.
Rogers soln:
go to port 587 (they suggested)
and put a firewall rule in at smtp source to map that  to 25,
i did that for myself (isp) and another and works like a charm, only issue is,
all the rogers peopl ehaev to change there smtp port set up in their client.

rogers block of 25 is on going, they might not have to across all yet,
we have pockets up and pocket down 2 days ago, but seems most rogers people
are now fully blocked.
Most important Rogers acknowledges the problem, they put smtp to a 3rd party,
and i think that is yahoo or aol  isnt it?
anyways they really royally screwed things up

why did they  do it ? probabl ywindows viruses hacking on port 25 anywhere,
and by only allowing access using 25 on rogers nets, to pre approved smtp server,
i guess its  adios smtp based windows viruses!!! no actaully to bad an idea!

-tl